Opportunities to telecommute have expanded rapidly over the last few years, thanks to the Internet. And customer service, in particular, seems to be opening up more and more to home workers. Companies like LiveOps, Working Solutions, and Alpine Access have taken full advantage of technology and the ready availability of home workers.
Most customer service jobs require a reliable computer with 256 MBs of RAM and at least a 1Ghz processor, a broadband Internet connection, and Windows XP. In addition, you’ll need a telephone line, headset, and printer. Most important, though, you must have a quiet working environment. That means no barking dogs or crying children in the background.
After filling out an application, you will be scheduled for an interview, most likely conducted over the phone. It is crucial that you take the call somewhere quiet, so as not to be interrupted. And don’t forget to make a list of the questions you want to ask. Better to understand exactly what the job entails before going any further.
The following is a list of questions you might be asked when interviewing for an at-home customer service position:
1. Why do you want a work at home customer service position?
2. What characteristics do you possess that make you a good candidate for a work at home customer service position? For our company? For our client?
3. What are your strengths and weaknesses?
4. How would you handle an irate customer?
5. Give an example of a time when you provided superior customer service.
6. Describe your office area and how you plan on keeping it quiet during your working hours.
7. What do you know about the company? And why do you want to work for our company?
8. How do you relieve stress?
9. When are you available to start? What hours are your available? Are you available weekends?
10. What is your expected pay rate?
There are so many great companies hiring work at home customer service agents right now – even some Fortune 500 companies! Apple, for example, hires home-based customer support! The PennyHoarder recently posted a great article on working from home for Apple. It’s Work from Home with Benefits for Apple! Have a look!