One of the simplest, lowest-cost home businesses is a resume writing service. Most people already have most of the equipment necessary to run this business. So if you’re a quick typist with a strong grasp of grammar, this might be the perfect home job for you.
What you’ll need:
- Internet access
- Dictionary (Online will do)
- Business cards
- File cabinet (Business papers can be stored on your computer, but make sure you have backup.)
- A copy of Microsoft Word is invaluable (But other word processing software will do.)
- Register your home business with federal, state, and city offices (Check the requirements in your state.)
- Create a client questionnaire with all the pertinent inquiries to help you generate a resume.
- Set up a website for your home business with the ability to upload and download files. (Important!)
- Advertise in local newspapers, craigslist, message boards (in signature), etc.
- After each client fills out your questionnaire, interview the person through email, phone, or in person to make sure you have all relevant information.
- Using information obtained, write the resume and cover letter. There are templates available online for resumes. Just Google “resume template,” and you will get plenty of results.
- Have the client approve the resume and cover letter. Then either print it and deliver it, or upload it through an ftp server to your client. Alternately, with the client’s approval, you can email it as an attachment.
- Bill your client. PayPal has a very handy billing tool that’s perfect for this. However, your client will have to sign up on PayPal to pay you this way.