One of the most disheartening things that can happen as you’re looking for a work-at-home job is to be scammed. Unfortunately, there are people out there who are more than willing to take advantage of struggling moms looking for a work at home job.
The number one thing to remember when you’re looking for a job working from home is to always research any company you’re thinking about applying with. Also, and this is most important – never, never, never pay a fee to apply for or get a job. Legitimate companies do not charge a fee to prospective employees.
A good place to check out any company is the Better Business Bureau online. You can look up the company you’re interested in applying with there, and see if any complaints have been made about them. Below are some tips for avoiding scams as you search for your perfect work-at-home job:
- Don’t believe ridiculous claims of instant riches. There are no free rides in the work at home world. Making an income requires work.
- Be cautious when dealing with unsolicited emails offering opportunities to work at home. These are most likely scams.
- Find out if there is a legitimate demand for the type of work you will be doing.
- Be suspicious if someone offers you an advance on your first paycheck. This is often an attempt to get your banking information.
- Check to see if there are any legal requirements or certifications necessary to do the type of work you are being offered.
- Ask for references of others working for the company.
Finally, don’t lose hope. There are legitimate paying telecommute positions out there. It just takes a bit of detective work to protect yourself and ensure the job you’re getting is legitimate.