Transcription is a career which has, in the last decade, become something that can easily be done from home. Thanks to the Internet, this job, which used to require a commute to an office, no longer does.
If you have a computer, Microsoft Word, and high-speed Internet, and can type 65 words-per-minute, all you need is a pair of headphones, a foot pedal, and the software to play downloaded audio to start your work at home general transcription career!
Types of Work at Home Transcription:
- There are several different types of work at home transcription, and depending on your education and background, you may be better suited for one than another.
- Medical transcriptionists transcribe doctor’s office notes, hospital records, and other healthcare related audio.
- Legal transcriptionists transcribe court depositions, pleadings, interviews, and letters.
- Transcriptionists specializing in business transcribe conference calls, meeting minutes, and interviews.
- Finally, generalists transcribe just about anything, including focus groups, interviews, conference calls, podcasts, and radio shows.
Pay varies widely among work at home transcription companies. But don’t sell yourself short. This isn’t simply typing. It involves investigative skills, as well as strong grammar, spelling, and proofreading skills. Difficult audio (audio with foreign speakers or lots of background noise) takes longer to transcribe than good audio.
Once you’re no longer new to the profession, expect excellent pay for excellent work. Perform well and expect to get paid a fair wage.
The following is a list of work at home transcription companies that hire home-based transcriptionists. Some require experience. Some are willing to give newbies a chance. Good luck and good typing!
- TASK Document Services
- Morningside Partners
- Way with Words
- Neal R. Gross & Company
- 3Play Media
- Chromolume Transcription
- Cyber Dictate
I have published an ebook, Jump-Start Your Work at Home General Transcription Career: The Fast and Easy Way to Get Started!, for those wishing to get started in work at home general transcription. It includes information on:
- The equipment you will need and where to find it (some at no cost to you)
- Pay rates and estimated turnaround times
- Information on text-expander programs to help you type faster and earn more
- The tricks I’ve acquired over the course of my ten-year career as a home-based general transcriptionist
- Information on dealing with taxes
- Tips on creating a resume that will get you hired
- Opportunities for practice
- Links to valuable resources and support, as well as a list of 60 companies (with URLs) that hire home-based general transcriptionists (also a special website page with password, which will be constantly updated to reflect the most current URLs)
- MUCH, MUCH more
All of this is available for the cost of a cup of coffee. I made it affordable, in the hopes that everyone would be able to benefit from it. You will literally acquire all the tips and tricks it took me years to learn, which means you will be transcribing smarter and faster, and making more money right from the beginning!
Jump-Start Your Work at Home General Transcription Career: The Fast and Easy Way to Get Started! is available at Amazon for Kindle.
If you purchase it and find it useful, I do hope you’ll take the time to leave a review.
Finally, if you do decide to give general transcription from home a go, Amazon offers a complete transcription starter kit. It’s the Express Scribe Pro Transcription Kit with USB Foot Pedal and USB Transcription Headset! It’s everything you need, in one package, to get started, including the transcription software I recommend in my book!
Thanks so much! Good luck in your new work at home transcription career!